New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

History Pane

General discussion

Re: History Pane

Postby Abs62 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

I think it needs to add words to the history "as is". Last viewed "Hello" must replace "hello" and vice versa.
Abs62

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Abs62 wrote:I think it needs to add words to the history "as is". Last viewed "Hello" must replace "hello" and vice versa.

Agreed, and implemented as such.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 pm

And here's the latest version built from the official sources:

Download: GoldenDict-1.0.1-492-g05546a5

History-related changes:
* Implemented History copying to the clipboard
* Make the default history item length to be the same as the limit for the headwords (256 now vs 60 previously)
* Preserve the current index in History list when a single entry is deleted
* Compare History items case insensitively
Tvangeste

Postby vjjustin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Tvangeste wrote:Yeah. On the other hand, comparing the word against the whole History *every* time a user opens a context menu could be time consuming introduce delays in the UI. Hm...

You don't have to. If any word is selected in the article, then the context menu item makes sense. If no word is selected (You might have to disable the 'single click select word' option), that is when the 'add to history' context menu item do not make much sense. We already have two different context menus, so we are already doing this check somewhere. No need to compare against history.
Tvangeste wrote:Also, even when the word is already in the history, adding it again actually *does* something meaningful. It brings that word to the top. Some folks might find this useful. Need to think about what to do here. :)

But since I just looked the word again (and thats how I have the article), shouldn't the word be already on top? (If any word in the article is selected, bringing it to top makes sense instead of searching against history)
vjjustin

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:14 pm

vjjustin wrote:You don't have to. If any word is selected in the article, then the context menu item makes sense. If no word is selected (You might have to disable the 'single click select word' option), that is when the 'add to history' context menu item do not make much sense.

You know what, you are right. I've just removed that menu item when there is no selection, as rather useless. :) Thanks!
Tvangeste

Postby Abs62 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Tvangeste wrote:I've just removed that menu item when there is no selection, as rather useless. :) Thanks!

This menu item is useful. It allows to add word to history even if history is disabled in options. Such removing really decrease history functionality.
Abs62

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Abs62 wrote:This menu item is useful. It allows to add word to history even if history is disabled in options. Such removing really decrease history functionality.

The more optionality we have the trickier it is to change things... How about showing that menu option only if the automatic history is disabled in settings? That seems to be the best of both worlds.
Tvangeste

Postby Abs62 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Tvangeste wrote:How about showing that menu option only if the automatic history is disabled in settings?

It sounds reasonable. ;)
Abs62

Postby Tvangeste » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

New version with some History-related bugfixes:

Download: GoldenDict-1.0.1-497-g77ded2c.rar - 1.83 MB

Changelog:
* Fixed #167: Not everything gets logged in History
* Update Argentinian Spanish translation
* Better way of dealing with adding title to history.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

vjjustin wrote:I lookup words and then copy the word+definitions to anki for further learning

Than you'll be glad to know that I've just pushed a new little feature to our repository: It is now possible to select just one article instead of entire content from all the dictionaries. :)

Use Ctrl+Shift+A to copy just the current article from the current dictionary. There is also a context menu for that:

Btw, jumping between articles (dictionaries) could be easily done via very useful shortcuts: Alt+Down and Alt+Up.
Tvangeste

PreviousNext

Return to General