New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

List of all dictionary words

General discussion

List of all dictionary words

Postby ipatsiotis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello,

I am creating a glossary with Babylon Glossary Builder. When i insert the .bgl file to the GoldenDict filesystem the Glossary is shown in the top bar but none of the terms i have inserted appears in the left sidebar.When i search for one term i have inserted in the glossary the term appears.How can i appear all the glossary terms in the left side bar??

Kind regards,
Ioannis Patsiotis
ipatsiotis

Re: List of all dictionary words

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi Ioannis,

Such functionality is not available in GoldenDict. The left side is not really a list of headwords in dictionary order, it is more like closest headwords matches to the word you've just typed.

In some other dictionary products, they do offer to show all the available headwords, but then they usually fail to show the closest matches. Typically, users don't really want just to browse the dictionary as a book, looking at entries one-by-one, they are interested in particular entry, and GD is optimized for such scenario.

But I do agree that from time to time I also miss this functionality to just browse the dictionary entries, like in a book. E.g., in picture dictionaries, or to look around the word I've just searched and see similar words. Well, I guess that closest matches could suit the similar words scenario, but not "browse like a book" scenario.
Tvangeste

Return to General