New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Install a new version in Ubuntu 10.04

General discussion

Install a new version in Ubuntu 10.04

Postby Racachaquero » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), and I want to have a version of the program that supports Forvo pronunciation at least. The latest version available for my system in a binary .deb package is 9.0.1. It is annoying, but it seems my only chance is to build my own installation.

My question is: What is the better way to have an up to date version?

1 - Install the latest developing version through git (I think this might not be the best, since this version might be unstable, right?, please tell me, because I'm a noob).
2 - Install the tarball from http://sourceforge.net/projects/goldend ... ndict/1.0/, which is a little older (version 1.0.1 from 2010)
3 - Get one of the sources used to compile 1.0.2 version for newer Ubuntu versions from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/goldendict

I tried option 1 and 3 so far.

Option 1 works, but I don't know if this is an unstable test version, or if it is the latest stable version.

Option 3 is not working. I downloaded the package used to create the latest stable version for the latest Ubuntu version. File is goldendict_1.0.2~git20110706.orig.tar.gz, and I downloaded it from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/p ... rig.tar.gz and I tried to install it like I did with Option 1, with qmake and then make.

It didn't work, first it threw me this message:

Code: Select all
$ qmake
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Project MESSAGE: Failed to precisely describe the version via Git -- using the default version string

I read on the Internet that this would fix it

$ git init
Initialized empty Git repository in /docs/Downloads/goldendict-1.0.2~git20110706/.git/

But it only got me to a different error message

$ qmake
fatal: bad revision 'HEAD'
Project MESSAGE: Failed to precisely describe the version via Git -- using the default version string

This is all I have done, and my doubt is stated above. What is better? Option 1, 2, or 3? If it is 3, how do I continue?

Thank you very much in advance.
Racachaquero

Re: Install a new version in Ubuntu 10.04

Postby chulai » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 am

I would go for option 1. I have used the last release version and also dev versions and they are not less stable than the former. Honestly, I've been using dev versions for almost a year with no real problems.
Go for option 2 if you want the most possible stable version. As I said, for me it's too old.
Option 3 is the same as option 1 but an older version. The error you are getting is really just a warning staying that it can't find the version from git. That's because the tar file doesn't include the git metadata. But you are probably having another issue, like missing libraries, that prevent you from compiling the code. In any case, I recommend you to build the executable using QT Creator. It's much easier.

Regards,

Chulai
chulai

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:32 am

I would also go with the latest version from official GIT repository. I've been using GoldenDict built from git for years already and my experience shows that it is actually more stable than the old releases since it contains bugfixes for various crashes, etc.

Just get the latest sources, build them and use the result. For safety, you might as well tag the version you've just built (with a tag, say, "stable"). Every once in a while you could update the sources, see what changed and rebuild. And if the new build is less stable, just revert back to the "stable" tag and that's it.

But in all those years I have never reverted to older revisions due to stability issues. GD from GIT been pretty solid.
Tvangeste

Postby The waiter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 am

I would like to build the last GD from git. I installed all dependecies but no luck. Here is result. What do I install yet?

stefan@stefan-S12:~/goldendict$ qmake && make
g++ -c -pipe -rdynamic -O2 -I/usr/include/hunspell -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DPROGRAM_DATA_DIR=\"/usr/local/share/apps/goldendict/\" -DPROGRAM_VERSION=\"1.0.1+git\" -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WEBKIT_LIB -DQT_PHONON_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/phonon -I/usr/include/qt4/QtWebKit -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -Iqtsingleapplication/src -I/usr/include/qt4/phonon_compat -Ibuild -Ibuild -o build/main.o main.cc
In file included from scanpopup.hh:8,
from mainwindow.hh:19,
from main.cc:7:
articleview.hh:7:20: error: QWebView: No such file or directory
main.cc:25:30: error: QWebSecurityOrigin: No such file or directory
In file included from build/ui_articleview.h:27,
from articleview.hh:14,
from scanpopup.hh:8,
./articlewebview.hh:16: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
./articlewebview.hh: In constructor ‘ArticleWebView::ArticleWebView(QWidget*)’:
./articlewebview.hh:21: error: class ‘ArticleWebView’ does not have any field named ‘QWebView’
In file included from articleview.hh:14,
from scanpopup.hh:8,
build/ui_articleview.h: In member function ‘void Ui_ArticleView::setupUi(QWidget*)’:
build/ui_articleview.h:65: error: ‘class ArticleWebView’ has no member named ‘setObjectName’
build/ui_articleview.h:66: error: ‘class ArticleWebView’ has no member named ‘setUrl’
build/ui_articleview.h:68: error: no matching function for call to ‘QVBoxLayout::addWidget(ArticleWebView*&)’
/usr/include/qt4/QtGui/qboxlayout.h:85: note: candidates are: void QBoxLayout::addWidget(QWidget*, int, Qt::Alignment)
In file included from scanpopup.hh:8,
articleview.hh: At global scope:
articleview.hh:260: error: ‘QWebFrame’ has not been declared
articleview.hh: In member function ‘void ArticleView::focus()’:
articleview.hh:119: error: ‘class ArticleWebView’ has no member named ‘setFocus’
articleview.hh: In member function ‘void ArticleView::reload()’:
articleview.hh:123: error: ‘class ArticleWebView’ has no member named ‘reload’
articleview.hh: In member function ‘void ArticleView::setZoomFactor(qreal)’:
articleview.hh:132: error: ‘class ArticleWebView’ has no member named ‘setZoomFactor’
main.cc: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
main.cc:162: error: ‘QWebSecurityOrigin’ has not been declared
make: *** [build/main.o] Error 1

PS: how do I know I have qt 4.5 installed? If I dont have it, how to upgrade it to 4.5?
The waiter

Postby ikm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:10 am

Racachaquero wrote: $ qmake
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Thing is, this isn't actually fatal. The first 'fatal' line is output by the git process, not by qmake. The second, 'Project MESSAGE' line is then output by qmake to inform you that precise version description will not be available since git has failed, but everything else is otherwise fine. So you could in fact just proceed to the 'make' step.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Racachaquero » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 am

Hi everybody, and thank you all very much for your help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chulai

I recommend you to build the executable using QT Creator

Would you tell me step by step how can I do it? I already installed qtcreator, but I don't how I could use it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tvangeste

For safety, you might as well tag the version you've just built (with a tag, say, "stable").

How can I do it? I'm a total noob in the git world.

Every once in a while you could update the sources, see what changed and rebuild.

Is there an automated way to check what has changed and revert if necessary? The only way I know to install the git package is doing git clone git://github.com/goldendict/goldendict.git and I get the feeling that I'm missing a lot here. I should read the git manual, but if you could help me, it would be very much appreciated.

The waiter

I have already answered you through pm, nevertheless I'll post here all the packages I found to be necessary to compile GoldenDict on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

qt4-qmake libvorbis-dev zlib1g-dev libhunspell-dev x11proto-record-dev libqt4-dev g++ libxtst-dev libphonon-dev

libqt4-webkit-dev (if you don't install this one, you'll get the error The waiter is receiving).

python-dev python-bzutils libbz2-dev (if you don't install those, you'll get another error).

And that's it! After that it should compile correctly without errors.

ikm

Thank you very much for making this program, and for helping me now. After reading your message I tried making and it works fine!

The thing now is, I don't know which one I should use from those 3. But as the other guys suggested, maybe is better to use the latest version from git, right?

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you all very much for helping.
Racachaquero

Postby chulai » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Racachaquero wrote:Hi everybody, and thank you all very much for your help.

chulai

I recommend you to build the executable using QT Creator

Would you tell me step by step how can I do it? I already installed qtcreator, but I don't how I could use it.

From QT Creator:
1) File > Open file or project > Locate goldendict.pro and open it. This is the project file.
2) Build > Clean all.
3) Build > Rebuild All. See the compile output. You should get a success message after it finishes compiling everything.
4) Build > Run. See the application output console. You should see a line like "Starting C:\QtSDK\projects\goldendict\release\goldendict.exe...". This way you know where the executable is stored after compilation.

Racachaquero wrote:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tvangeste

For safety, you might as well tag the version you've just built (with a tag, say, "stable").

How can I do it? I'm a total noob in the git world.

Every once in a while you could update the sources, see what changed and rebuild.

Is there an automated way to check what has changed and revert if necessary? The only way I know to install the git package is doing git clone git://github.com/goldendict/goldendict.git and I get the feeling that I'm missing a lot here. I should read the git manual, but if you could help me, it would be very much appreciated.

after you use "git clone git://github.com/goldendict/goldendict.git", you have to run "git pull" inside the goldendict folder from time to time to get the last changes. Then, right after that, you can run "git tag -a myTag" to create a tag at that specific time so you can go back if something goes wrong on a future update. Anyway if you know how git works you don't need tags to go back to any specif point and you can always create tags at a later time for older versions of the code. Tags are only an easy way to label the code for your convenience.
chulai

Return to General