New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Please add a bookmark manager

General discussion

Please add a bookmark manager

Postby eneji » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:23 pm

1. What is a bookmark manager?

It is a component allowing storage and manipulation of searched entries.

2. Why one would need a bookmark manager?

To have quick and internal access to past searched entries, which were worth of being remembered for later SRS applications. For example:
1. User reads a piece of text and uses 'scan popup' repetitively in order to familiarize himself with unknown words, starring concurrently entries meriting some later consideration.
2. After few hours or days the user could have made hundreds of such searches.
3. The user would like to remind himself of the searched words.
3. Thanks to the 'bookmark manager' the user can now retrieve starred words and have access to their definitions instantaneously. The user can also briefly skim through his list if he wishes so as a means of mere recollection.

3. How does it look like without a bookmark manager?

Without the bookmark manager the user has to revert to other means of collecting words. For example, checking them in Goldendict and: a) writing on a slip of paper; b) writing in notepad; c) using stars in other online dictionaries; d) simply bookmarking google searches in web browser. I personally have few hundreds of such gathered words waiting to be retrieved and learned.

Bookmark manager in Goldendict would eliminate these in-between agents and allow internally to create word collections. Having a parallel tool to 'history' like the bookmark manager would be a good addition. What do you think?
eneji

Re: Please add a bookmark manager

Postby Sawyer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:51 am

+ 1 support for this feature request,but I more incline to call it a “Vocabulary Manager" rather than a bookmark manager.
Currently goldendict provide a feature to save the search result to a html, I think it's more pratical and useful to save the searched entry to a user datbase.
In the scaning popup or the main application window, whenever there's a search result, the Goldendict can provide a tool button, like those buttons show or hide dictionaries, to save the current searched entry.
The dictionary user can choose whether this vocabulary should or not be added to his "vocabulary bank", Goldendict then save the vocabulary into a database with a timetamp and importance rating, and aditional information can be edited by user like the context sentence this word appears, or than meanings not appear in the dictionary or some memos.
So the user can memorize those words using goldendict based on importance and timesstamps.

I think it's a fairly small feature but will benifit a great deal to goldendict users.
Sawyer

Re: Please add a bookmark manager

Postby eneji » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Indeed 'Vocabulary Manager' is a better name.

Here is a conspectus I've conceived today. http://i.imgur.com/2quv3.png

eneji

Return to General