New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Anyone has a stardict-image supported version of Goldendict

General discussion

Re: Anyone has a stardict-image supported version of Goldend

Postby cgpman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:31 am

I should have included in my previous post that the .dsl file must be encoded in unicode-16BE (Big Endian). You can use Geany (it is freeware) to do so. There is a windows version of Geany. Also, I am using Goldendict 1.0.1 for Windows.
cgpman

Postby patrick » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 am

Yes, you can use compressed images or audio files.
for example, you have "dictionary.dsl", just put all your media files in a zip file "dictionary.dsl.files.zip",
then the miracle arrives. ;)
patrick

Postby cgpman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 am

@patrick: thanks for the hint. There is one complication, though. zip will properly compress only files whose names consist of ascii characters. Some of the image files I want to display in Goldendict have german or swedish names, including umlauts, small circles over some 'a's, etc. I created dictionary.dsl.files.zip containing the jpg image files. Goldendict found the images in dictionary.dsl.files.zip, and did display the images whose filenames were ascii, but did not display the images whose names were non-ascii.

7z format is supposed to support unicode filenames. I tried your suggestion for 7z format, creating dictionary.dsl.files.7z consisting of compressed jpg files. Goldendict did not find the images.

I did the same for .dz format. Same result as for 7z.

Does anyone know of a compression format other than zip that Goldendict supports?
cgpman

Postby patrick » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:15 am

yes, that's right. currently, seemed that goldendict only supports ZIP files. hope in next version, they could add 7z support.
before that, you could just convert your unicoded filenames to some ascii names, that is quite possible, by some scripts.
patrick

Postby Abs62 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 pm

cgpman wrote:There is one complication, though. zip will properly compress only files whose names consist of ascii characters. Some of the image files I want to display in Goldendict have german or swedish names, including umlauts, small circles over some 'a's, etc. I created dictionary.dsl.files.zip containing the jpg image files. Goldendict found the images in dictionary.dsl.files.zip, and did display the images whose filenames were ascii, but did not display the images whose names were non-ascii.

AFAIK, 7z archiver can create zip archive with non-ascii named files. Did you tried it?
And GoldenDict 1.0.1-release support only ascii symbols in filenames. For unicode support try last EA build from this page.
Abs62

Postby cgpman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:14 pm

No. Goldendict 1.0.1 does support non-ascii filenames for .jpg files. What patrick and I hope for is that future versions of Goldendict will read .jpg files and audio files compressed into a 7z file. As I wrote in a previous post, if .jpg files have non-ascii filenames, Goldendict will display the images they contain, but only if they are not compressed.

And yes, I did try compressing the .jpg files into a 7z file. Goldendict did not find the 7z file, even tho it was in the same folder as the .dsl dictionary file and even tho I named it dictionary.dsl.files.7z. [As I wrote in a previous post].
cgpman

Postby Abs62 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:33 pm

cgpman wrote:And yes, I did try compressing the .jpg files into a 7z file. Goldendict did not find the 7z file, even tho it was in the same folder as the .dsl dictionary file and even tho I named it dictionary.dsl.files.7z. [As I wrote in a previous post].

Did you tried to compress jpg files by 7z archiver into .zip (no .7z) archive?
Abs62

Postby cgpman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:35 pm

The Early Access version Goldendict 1.0.1-198-ge0d21d6 does no better than version 1.0.1 in reading 7z files. It does not read them. I just tested it.
cgpman

Postby chulai » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:41 pm

did you test 7z files or did you test zip files generated by 7z archiver? It is not the same.

cgpman wrote:The Early Access version Goldendict 1.0.1-198-ge0d21d6 does no better than version 1.0.1 in reading 7z files. It does not read them. I just tested it.
chulai

Postby cgpman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Using goldendict 1.0.1, I just tried renaming the dictionary.dsl.files.7z file to dictionary.dsl.files.zip. That did not help.
cgpman

PreviousNext

Return to General