New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

3 suggestions

General discussion

3 suggestions

Postby loyola » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 pm

First of all thanks for an awesome piece of software.

1. The buttons for hiding/showing dictionaries are nice, but it would be better for most users to have that particular functionality in the preferences/dictionaries-settings window, and in the main UI to be able to click such buttons in order to jump (scroll down) to a particular dictionary. For people who have many dictionaries it is a nuisance to scroll down manually, searching for the one you want.

2. The "scan a word from the clipboard" functionality is nice, but I don't see the benefit in its appearance as a small window, which cannot be resized or set to a fixed position, which is annoying for some users. Not to mention that some of the functionality is missing (the list of search-result words on the left for example). Why not have the regular main window of the software pop up instead of this smaller version? Or at least enable that as an option in Preferences. The software is so light and fast, there is no big advantage to this small window (same holds for the scan popup functionality).

3. Please add Paypal donation support! I really want to donate but I am wary to add yet another payment company subscription, and I suspect I am not alone in this.

Thanks again ! ! !
loyola

Re: 3 suggestions

Postby chulai » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:09 pm

1. Right click in the results and you have a list of all dictionaries. You also have the Results navigation pane to jump to a particular dictionary in the development version. You can try it here: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... or-Windows

2. I think we should have an option to load the main window instead of the popup as you said. But you can also use Ctrl + 1 + 1 to do so. Go to Preferences > Hotkeys.
You CAN resize and set the popup window to a fixed position. To do that unpin the window. This icon is located in the upper-right corner.

loyola wrote:First of all thanks for an awesome piece of software.

1. The buttons for hiding/showing dictionaries are nice, but it would be better for most users to have that particular functionality in the preferences/dictionaries-settings window, and in the main UI to be able to click such buttons in order to jump (scroll down) to a particular dictionary. For people who have many dictionaries it is a nuisance to scroll down manually, searching for the one you want.

2. The "scan a word from the clipboard" functionality is nice, but I don't see the benefit in its appearance as a small window, which cannot be resized or set to a fixed position, which is annoying for some users. Not to mention that some of the functionality is missing (the list of search-result words on the left for example). Why not have the regular main window of the software pop up instead of this smaller version? Or at least enable that as an option in Preferences. The software is so light and fast, there is no big advantage to this small window (same holds for the scan popup functionality).

3. Please add Paypal donation support! I really want to donate but I am wary to add yet another payment company subscription, and I suspect I am not alone in this.

Thanks again ! ! !
chulai

Postby loyola » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't notice the right click menu in the main window...
loyola

Postby chulai » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 am

loyola wrote:2. The "scan a word from the clipboard" functionality is nice, but I don't see the benefit in its appearance as a small window, which cannot be resized or set to a fixed position, which is annoying for some users. Not to mention that some of the functionality is missing (the list of search-result words on the left for example). Why not have the regular main window of the software pop up instead of this smaller version? Or at least enable that as an option in Preferences. The software is so light and fast, there is no big advantage to this small window (same holds for the scan popup functionality).

FYI, this option is now implemented in the early builds of GoldenDict. You can download them here: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... or-Windows

You can see a couple of screenshots of the new option in this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1451

Thanks,
Chulai
chulai

Postby MCHAL » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi, Chulai:

The scan option does not work with sandboxed windows by Sandboxie.com. Sanboxie is a VERY popular security program. So my guess is that this should be in your best interest to investigate and maybe find a solution (if there's any related problem at all here). I tried all possible GoldenDict configuration settings to tackle the "problem", with no success. Also tried the same with Sandboxie, in vain. I am running the latest GoldenDict beta (same problem with previous versions and releases, even when loading the system with just its very core-base programs and services and running it on its factory defaults config). I am on a Brazilian Portuguese Win7-32 i5 system up to date, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia.

Thanks in advance for your support.
MCHAL.azok.org
MCHAL

Return to General