New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Request Enocodings for Web Searches: Big-5 and GB18030

General discussion

Request Enocodings for Web Searches: Big-5 and GB18030

Postby michaelopt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:28 am

Hi Developers,

First I have to express my gratitude to all of you for your creation of the GoldenDict. It is much more convenient than Lingvo when yours have the customizability to search some web dictionaries and change the display styles freely. It is definitely a language saver for students.

I am a student who lives in Hong Kong. Despite reading English dictionaries in most of the time, I also look up some Chinese characters via online dictionaries. In some sites like Wikipedia and Wiktionary which use UTF-8 encoding, the pages display the Chinese characters nicely. However for some sites which use Big-5, all the Chinese characters become incomprehensible symbols.

Would you mind adding Big-5, one of the Traditional Chinese character encodings into the upcoming releases? Something like "%GDBIG5% would be helpful. This would be a blessing for the Taiwanese and Hong Kong people who are interested in looking some unfamiliar Traditional Chinese characters up in the web dictionaries hosted by universities.

I do not know if it is too greedy to also ask for the support of the GB18030, the Simplified Chinese character encoding. This could potentially benefit 1.3 billion people in China. If it is too demanding, just ignore the request for GB18030.

I look forward to your feedback.

Michael
michaelopt

Re: Request Enocodings for Web Searches: Big-5 and GB18030

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Michael,

Could you please post some URLs for the online dictionaries you'd like to use with %GDBIG5%?
Tvangeste

Postby michaelopt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Tvangeste wrote:Hi Michael,

Could you please post some URLs for the online dictionaries you'd like to use with %GDBIG5%?

Hi Tvangeste,

Thanks for your quick reply. Currently I am using the following dictionaries for looking up the Chinese characters:

粵語音韻集成
[url]http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/canton-new.pl?query=%GDWORD%[/url]
This Chinese character dictionary could help me to look for the Cantonese phonetics of the Chinese characters.

Follow Me 倉頡字典
[url]http://input.foruto.com/cjdict/Search_1.php?Step=DoSearch&Hanzi=%GDWORD%[/url]
This is used for checking the correct codes of typing Chinese characters using the input method CangJie.

I had tried to use the variable %GDBIG5% but the results were the same. Then I checked the wiki of GoldenDict and found that right now only ISO encodings were supported. Therefore I assume at present there should have no variable like %GDBIG5%.

I extracted those links from the Firefox search engines, which have been used successfully on it. Thus I am pretty confident that those links above are correctly coded.

You may also check the Google Dictionary below which I extracted from the Firefox search engines too. Since Google Dictionary uses UTF-8, the pages are displayed flawlessly. You may input both Chinese characters and English looking for their alternate meanings.

Google 字典
[url]http://www.google.com/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|zh-TW&q=%GDWORD%&hl=zh-TW[/url]

Hope these help.

Michael
michaelopt

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 pm

michaelopt wrote:Would you mind adding Big-5

I've added %GDBIG5% support to my private branch, for testing. Could you please verify that everything works for %GDBIG5%?

The sources:
https://github.com/VVSiz/goldendict/tree/wip/big-5

Or, if you on Windows, you could just try this binary:
http://www.multiupload.com/D7T1UD6WY9

P.S. As for GB 18030, could you please provide some URLs where this can be used (and tested)? I haven't added this one yet, since I cannot test it.
Tvangeste

Postby michaelopt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:13 am

Tvangeste wrote:
michaelopt wrote:Would you mind adding Big-5

I've added %GDBIG5% support to my private branch, for testing. Could you please verify that everything works for %GDBIG5%?

The sources:
https://github.com/VVSiz/goldendict/tree/wip/big-5

Or, if you on Windows, you could just try this binary:
http://www.multiupload.com/D7T1UD6WY9

P.S. As for GB 18030, could you please provide some URLs where this can be used (and tested)? I haven't added this one yet, since I cannot test it.

Hi Tvangeste,

Thanks for your works!

I first tried the binary by replacing the old one, but it crashed when I executed an query by pressing Enter. I doubted if I was missing some other important libraries which were essential to run this new build. As a result I downloaded the sources from the link you sent. I installed the Qt libraries and MinGW to compile the sources. However the result was an executable file with around 32MB, which was much larger than that of the binary you had prepared. I thought my compiled one was faulty so I gave up trying my own built.

Since the old build I was using is the Early Access Build "GoldenDict 1.0.1-68-g7525e45" released on 9 June, I suspected if this version would be less stable than the official stable release 1.0.1. I installed the 1.0.1, and once again pasted the new binary over the old executable, set all the things again. It seemed fine at first, but after adding the URL entries of the external dictionaries, it crashed again when I had checked them for including them in the search.

I have also tried the latest Early Access Build "GoldenDict 1.0.1-142-g7d2b6f5" released today. Very unfortunately same thing happened. I tried to only check one dictionary that you had pre-installed, like the Urban Dictionary. But the symptom persisted. In the old builds like "GoldenDict 1.0.1-68-g7525e45" and "GoldenDict 1.0.1", using the same setting would not render such crash. However, the Wiki-dictionaries were not affected. I added and checked the Traditional Chinese Wikipedia and Wiktionary they showed up without a crash.

If you need further information, feel free to ask me. I hope I could help a bit.

Incidentally, is there any way to print the error log of the crash? I also notice that, whenever I used the binary you uploaded in the previous post, or trying the latest Early Access Build "GoldenDict 1.0.1-142-g7d2b6f5", I was warned that I was missing the file "libiconv-2.dll" so it refused to start. I noticed that there was a file similarly named as "libiconv2.dll", so I renamed it to "libiconv-2.dll" and it started. I am not sure if it is a relevant hint to identify the cause of the crash.

Michael
michaelopt

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:14 pm

michaelopt wrote: I also notice that, whenever I used the binary you uploaded in the previous post, or trying the latest Early Access Build "GoldenDict 1.0.1-142-g7d2b6f5"

Thanks for the note, I've updated the build and included the proper dll. Please download the new version from the EA page and try it out. The direct link for the download is: http://www.multiupload.com/S67EDHIXU5
Last edited by Tvangeste on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:17 pm

michaelopt wrote:Incidentally, is there any way to print the error log of the crash?

The best way to investigate the crash is to build GoldenDict in Debug mode, and then strat it from within gdb, like this:

Code: Select all
gdb goldendict.exe

and then type 'run' in gdb prompt. When GD crashed, type 'bt' (backtrace) to see a backtrace.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Hmm, I am able to reproduce the crash on Windows XP, but not on Windows 7, investigating...
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Tvangeste wrote:Hmm, I am able to reproduce the crash on Windows XP, but not on Windows 7, investigating...

The crash has been fixed, get the latest build from the EA page, or directly: http://www.multiupload.com/S67EDHIXU5
Tvangeste

Postby michaelopt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Tvangeste wrote:
Tvangeste wrote:Hmm, I am able to reproduce the crash on Windows XP, but not on Windows 7, investigating...

The crash has been fixed, get the latest build from the EA page, or directly: http://www.multiupload.com/S67EDHIXU5

Thanks for your quick works! I tried and set it the same as the old releases, but for me unfortunately it still crashed......

For your reference, my machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Tvangeste wrote:
michaelopt wrote:Incidentally, is there any way to print the error log of the crash?

The best way to investigate the crash is to build GoldenDict in Debug mode, and then strat it from within gdb, like this:

Code: Select all
gdb goldendict.exe

and then type 'run' in gdb prompt. When GD crashed, type 'bt' (backtrace) to see a backtrace.

Thanks for your guide. However it seems that I am really a layman in compiling Qt programs. Is there any reference that I could follow straight so as to avoid some hilarious results? I used the qmake to compile the project, but it gave me a clumsy binary with 32MB. I tried to run it but it rejected saying that a C++-6 library was missing. I also tried the GDB prompt command you suggested, but the GDB also turned me down as the executables were missing the debugging headers.

So as you said, GDB needs a one solely built for debugging. Would you mind compiling a debugging mode GD and uploading it? I would try to get a error log for the crash.
michaelopt

Next

Return to General