New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

How to change goldendict Fonts in Linux?

General discussion

How to change goldendict Fonts in Linux?

Postby letian » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 am

Where can I change the fonts that Gdict is using in Linux? ~/.goldendict/config file doesn seem to have font option.
I need to change chinese font goldendict is using. How can I do it in Linux?
letian

Re: How to change goldendict Fonts in Linux?

Postby kite » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:53 am

Put ~/.goldendict/article-style.css with something like this:
Code: Select all
body {
   font-family: "Arial Unicode";
}
Or alternative way - remove from system Tahoma&Verdana fonts and set in fontconfig sans-serif as synonym of your favorite Unicode font.
kite

Postby nomnex » Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 am

this soft rocks my socks off. A big thanks. What a change of usability compared to the (not maintained anymore) Stardict. A Qt toolkit to accommodate both sides, bah, I will get by :).
could you possibly add a display font selection in the preferences? I use Japanese dictionaries in an en_US environment. I don't need to change the toolkit font of the menus. My system font covers already most of the diacritics and character sets, but If I could set the display font back and forth, say, to sazanami mincho when I browse the Japanese dictionaries, it would be more pleasant, perhaps.

If I am the only one on this one, then of course, let's call this feature request off. I am not positive if it is something easy to implement with web kit? Again, thanks for the soft, the documentation, and the forum.
nomnex

Postby letian » Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 pm

I agree, the font size selection and style should be implemented by default, it is really unnecessary to edit .css files manualy.
Its a common thing with pc dictionaries nowadays, strange so, working with text and not having just anything to provide a proper text formatting features is a something that amused me most. They can have useless audio pronunciation, that I have never seen somebody would ever use, tutors and other stuff, but none of them actually has anything to do with text formatting. Goldendict will rock if it eventually does.
letian

Postby nomnex » Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 pm

letian wrote:Its a common thing with pc dictionaries nowadays, strange so, working with text and not having just anything to provide a proper text formatting features is a something that amused me most.

Usually the toolkit is in charge of the font setting. GoldenDict uses webkit as rendering engin to display web pages and the dictionaries. That's maybe the reason why there is no font setting in the prefs. I am not sure if the toolkit can handle it? Someone will a better knowledge with tell.
nomnex

Postby ikm » Sat May 07, 2011 12:01 am

There's no font setting simply because no one has implemented it yet.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby nomnex » Sat May 07, 2011 12:28 am

hello ikm. that answers the question. Do users post feature requests directly on the board, or is there a bug tracking & feature requests for gd hosted some place else?
nomnex

Postby ikm » Sat May 07, 2011 2:15 am

Right now this is ad-hoc - people just post everything here.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby dronelebeau » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:47 am

ikm wrote:There's no font setting simply because no one has implemented it yet.

That also answered my question. :|
But it would be great if it would be implemented though. :D
dronelebeau

Postby ikm » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:52 am

There's an issue tracker now available for the project.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Next

Return to General