New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Goldendict can't index Britannica Encyclopedia

Mobile version discussion

Goldendict can't index Britannica Encyclopedia

Postby belleyeah » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Britannica Encyclopedia (~4GB) works smoothly with Goldendict PC version. I copied it to SD card and restart Goldendict for android, it can't stop the index processing. I have to interrupt it manually. any suggestion? :)
belleyeah

Re: Goldendict can't index Britannica Encyclopedia

Postby Tvangeste » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Sometimes there is just not enough memory on the device to index huge dictionaries.

One way to deal with this is to break dictionary into smaller ones, but that depends on the dictionary format you're using, not to mention that if a dictionary contains media resources (images, video, etc) that would further complicate things.

Another trick that sometimes works, is to adjust the following parameter in the Settings: "Middle match deepness", from 3 to 1 or 0 and try to index again.
Tvangeste

Re: Goldendict can't index Britannica Encyclopedia

Postby belleyeah » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:28 am

Tvangeste wrote:Sometimes there is just not enough memory on the device to index huge dictionaries.

One way to deal with this is to break dictionary into smaller ones, but that depends on the dictionary format you're using, not to mention that if a dictionary contains media resources (images, video, etc) that would further complicate things.

Another trick that sometimes works, is to adjust the following parameter in the Settings: "Middle match deepness", from 3 to 1 or 0 and try to index again.

thanks, Tvangeste. :) Still failed to index this giant encyclopedia. My new phone has 2G RAM. I'll try to remove some videos then. 8-)
belleyeah

Return to Mobile