New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Reindexing on restart. Is this a bug?

Mobile version discussion

Reindexing on restart. Is this a bug?

Postby chulai » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:58 pm

I restarted my cellphone and when executed GD I had to reindex all the dictionaries and I have about 75! Is this the expected behaviour?
chulai

Re: Reindexing on restart. Is this a bug?

Postby ikm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:26 am

The most probable cause is that timestamps of the newly added files reported by the OS are more precise than those actually stored in the FAT filesystem on the SD card. Once you restart your phone, it would get them from FAT, and they will become more coarse. I tried to combat this situation, but seems that this ain't that easy. Could you try to restart your phone once again to make sure no reindexing would happen this time?
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby chulai » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:01 am

No reindexing after 2nd and 3rd restart. Thanks

ikm wrote:The most probable cause is that timestamps of the newly added files reported by the OS are more precise than those actually stored in the FAT filesystem on the SD card. Once you restart your phone, it would get them from FAT, and they will become more coarse. I tried to combat this situation, but seems that this ain't that easy. Could you try to restart your phone once again to make sure no reindexing would happen this time?
chulai

Postby ikm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 am

Btw, did you change your time zone? I've probably found a cause of this bug. Fat32 stores timestamps in local time zone, while the OS layer reports them in UTC. Any time zone changes makes the OS return different UTC values, so it appears as if the files have changed even if they didn't. I'm pushing an update fixing this to the market. Unfortunately, this will require another round of reindexing, final this time. I'll try to minimize those events in the future, I promise!
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby chulai » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 pm

No, I didn't. But I mounted the SD card to copy more dictionaries from my PC.
ikm wrote:Btw, did you change your time zone?
chulai

Postby chulai » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 pm

I got reindexing each time I updated the GD version. Is that the expected behaviour?
chulai

Postby ikm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:29 am

No, it most definitely isn't. I don't really understand how that can be possible at all with e.g the 1.1 -> 1.1.1 upgrade -- the only thing changed there was the font size for the popup activity. Could you check if timestamps seem to be changing on your dictionary files? Maybe there's some program which touches them or something?
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby bradm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:47 pm

ikm wrote:No, it most definitely isn't. I don't really understand how that can be possible at all with e.g the 1.1 -> 1.1.1 upgrade -- the only thing changed there was the font size for the popup activity. Could you check if timestamps seem to be changing on your dictionary files? Maybe there's some program which touches them or something?

Does this have maybe something to do with the timestamp issue? A few days ago, I noticed wrong Date Modified stamps with my synced files in SugarSync.
I found this official statement: "Syncing with Android 3.x devices. Customers using a device running the Android 3.x (Honeycomb) OS should be aware that a bug in the operating system changes the Date Modified setting of synced files. The date is changed to the date of the sync.
In other words, if you modified a file 7 days ago, when you sync the file to your Android 3.x device, the Date Modified date is changed to the date of the sync. This change is applied to all files synced to the Honeycomb device, which then changes the dates of synced files on your other computers and devices.
Because this is a known issue with Honeycomb, SugarSync is not able to change this behavior. Google is looking into fixing this bug, but we are not aware of any schedule."
KInd regards.
bradm

Postby chulai » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:53 am

Haven't had any reindexing since last reported.
ikm wrote:No, it most definitely isn't. I don't really understand how that can be possible at all with e.g the 1.1 -> 1.1.1 upgrade -- the only thing changed there was the font size for the popup activity. Could you check if timestamps seem to be changing on your dictionary files? Maybe there's some program which touches them or something?
chulai

Return to Mobile